More IKEA Hacks

By January 2, 2015IKEA Hacks, IKEA Kitchens

Here’s a kitchen we finished last month for a client who’s not afraid to think outside the box!   Working with our designer, Breanne, they were able to come up with a totally unique looking kitchen that manages to blend modern features with classical elements to fit perfectly within the style of the home.

IKEA.Pantry.Cabinets

The kitchen also features some really fun IKEA hacks like this workstation/appliance garage

Appliance.Garage.IKEA.Hack.1

We used 3rd party pocket door hinges to allow the doors to open up and tuck out of the way along the sides of the cabinet.  The workstation features a walnut butcherblock countertop, and we made some matching walnut shelves to compliment.

Appliance.Garage.IKEA.Hack.2

With the doors closed, any clutter can be hidden away!

Toekick.Drawer.IKEA.Hack

Another cool hack: toe-kick drawers like these, which are placed strategically around the kitchen for extra storage.  We made these drawers by cutting down some base cabinets and installing stock IKEA shallow drawers.  Since the drawers are only 21″ deep, we were able to cut the cabinet back enough to align with the rest of the toe-kick. The only drawback to these toekick drawers is that we had to raise the cabinets up an extra inch to make them fit properly.  This means that the finished counter top height is 37″ instead of 36, but the customers weren’t phased by this as they are fairly tall anyway.

Viking.Range.IKEA

And how about that brass toe-kick?  Wacky, right?!  This is made from special order 18g sheet metal which we cut to fit, and laminated to the toe kick using contact cement.  Not only is this a striking visual element by itself, but using a contrasting color toe-kick like this almost makes the cabinets look like they’re suspended.

Window.seat.IKEA.2

Window seats like these are something we do quite often.  We made these using 30x15x24″ refrigerator cabinets from IKEA.  In keeping with standard seat dimensions, we cut them back to a depth of 18″ instead of 24″.

Window.Seat.IKEA.1Here we stacked a 30×80 pantry cabinet on top of the 30×15 fridge cabinet for storing shoes, coats and the kid’s backpacks.  To make it fill out the wall, we were left with 8″ of extra space, so we decided to make use of it by cutting down a 15×80″ pantry.

IKEA.Kitchen.Seattle

Right away after my first meeting with the client, and listening to her ideas for the kitchen, I knew this would be a fun project, and I wasn’t disappointed!  It’s yet another project that we are proud to have been a part of!

To See more cool IKEA hacks, check out this post from last year: IKEA Hacks and Other Fun Stuff

Join the discussion 21 Comments

• Amy says:

Can you share the hardware you used to create the hidden appliance area? You said you used 3rd party pocket door hinges – can you tell me specifically which ones?
    Beautiful kitchen.

Thanks
    Amy

• tim says:

Hi Amy-

This is the part we used: KVM-8070PEZEB24 it was a little tricky to set up. We had to drill new hinge holes in the doors, because they didn’t quite line up with the pre-bored holes, but once we got it all sorted, it worked great. The customers really like this feature. Good luck!

• julie says:

Hi
    Can you share which type of cabinets from Ikea you used for the pivot door system? The ones I can find only have one door or in the case of 2 doors are very narrow. Did your build two separate cabinets together? I live in europe and would like this cabinet to be 120 cm wide thus I think I have to build 2×60 cm together in order to create this? Kind regards Julie

• Tim says:

Actually what we did was to install two 24″ base cabinets on the bottom, and some modified refrigerator cabinets on the top. Then we framed the whole thing in with panels and mounted the doors to that. Hope that makes sense.

• Christel DeCoste says:

Could you tell me the hardware you used for the toe kick drawers. I’ve added toe kicks and would like pulls that are unobtrusive and allow easy access by running along the width of the drawer.

• Tim says:

For this project we used a base cabinet which we cut down to 5″ tall, to use in place of the legs. This allowed us to simply install a standard drawer assembly (Rationell), we then we cut down the 6″ tall drawer face to fit. We used a push-latch (Utrusta) instead of handles, so you could simply tap the drawer with your toe to pop it open. Now with the new SEKTION line, the drawers have a lower profile, and you can actually do a 4″+/- toe-kick drawer. The Akurum/Rationell drawers were a little taller, so 5″ was the lowest we could make them. Hope that helps!

• Susan says:

Fantastic job on the toekick drawers! These provide so much extra space for pans and even valuables. I am about to renovate a kitchen. Is this something my contractor should be able to do easily or are they going to balk at installing these?

• Bill says:

Like the garage! Have to bug my contractor to see if she can do this. Also the cabinet above the refrigerator; how do you modify the cabinet doors above the refrigerator to avoid a rough edge either bottom or top?

Thanks
    Bill

• Pinky-1 says:

Hi Tim! Just wanting to know what material was used to finish off the top of the window seat. Amazing work! Very Inspiring for all of us DIYers!

• Tim says:

Hi Pinky-

We just used a 3×8 panel from IKEA. Pretty easy. It doesn’t show in these photos, but the customer ended up getting a custom cushion made for this. It looks really sharp!

• Emily says:

What kind of microwave is that? Cool looking!

• Edwin says:

Hi Tim,

Nice work! I’m wanting to customize widths and heights of IKEA cabinets as well, but it seems to be much harder with the new SEKTION line. Have you worked with it already and managed to make adjustments?

Many thanks,
    Edwin

• Tim says:

Yes, absolutely. We modify these cabinets all the time. It’s a little different with the sektion cabinets, because of the metal brackets on top, but we just use tin snips on those and we’re good to go. Good luck with your project!

• Autumn says:

Hi there,
    Could you tell me exactly what material what used for the brass toe kick and where you bought it. I am wanting to do something similar in our bathroom . Thank you!
    Autumn

• Tim says:

I’m sorry, my client actually purchased that herself. She ordered it online somewhere, but it was a thin guage metal (23g, if I recall).

• Susannah Watts says:

Are you able to go into any more detail about how you framed that appliance garage with refrigerator cabinets? When I look online at Ikeas cabinets- I can’t tell really what you’re referring to- and I’m not sure what I need to get to make this work. I was going to go with 2 18″ wide base cabinets- (these two cabinets will be in the middle of other floor to ceiling cabinets). Just not sure what to get so we can attach the doors with that hardware you specified.

• karlie says:

Do you have a tutorial of the appliance garage! Would it work with any ikea cabinets?

• Tim says:

I’m afraid I don’t have a tutorial, but in this case, the doors actually fit between the cabinets, so you don’t actually use a cabinet frame, you use the sides of the adjoining cabinets to mount the hinge-sliders. Hope that makes sense! good luck with your project!

• Sally A Wright says:

Do you recall how she managed to neatly do the brass into the corners of the Kitchen for the toe-kicks?

• Ravi says:

Hi Tim,
    I simply love your work. Wish you were located in Charlotte area!
    QQ – you mentioned that the appliance garage doors actually fit between the cabinets, so you don’t actually use a cabinet frame, you use the sides of the adjoining cabinets to mount the hinge-sliders. I see adjoining cabinet on right side, but there is no cabinet on left. Does that mean you simply attached the hinge-silders to a cover panel on left?
    Thanks!